Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Resources in the Classroom

Yesterday in class, we had the opportunity to look through the resources available in K-6 Newfoundland and Labrador classrooms. I had been exposed to some of these resources already through my observation days, but had no idea there were so many available.

I think that the picture and lap books that are available for K-2 students are an excellent resource. The books have engaging pictures and simple text that facilitate the understanding of and interest students in the topics being taught. I feel that the "fun" is sucked out of math as students get older (grade 3 onward); there are no longer any picture books, the workbooks no longer have colour, and there is a lot more work being done from the textbook. I know this is necessary as students are maturing and are capable of now answering these types of textbook questions, but why should we take away the aspects that keep them interested and motivated? I know even as an adult, I am more attracted and more likely to pay attention to a worksheet that has bright colours and images as opposed to one that is dull with all text. Why are there no books available in grades 3-6 classroom resources? Due to a blog post for another course, I know for a fact that there is an abundance of math picture books available for K-6 classrooms. Some of these books include: The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins, The Sir Cumference Series by Cindy Neuschwander and Wayne Geehan, and Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream by Cindy Neuschwander. 


I feel comforted by the amount of resources available to teachers, however I know I will be incorporating these books and many other outside resources in my classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment